Whether you call Stamford, Hartford or another Connecticut city home, a homeowners insurance policy can play an important role in protecting your home and your loved ones. In addition to satisfying your bank’s mortgage requirements, home insurance can pay to repair or replace your home and personal belongings and protect you from liability.
We at the Home Media reviews team have analyzed the best homeowners insurance companies in Connecticut, evaluating them on coverage quality, price, discounts and customer service. Read our guide to quickly compare the top home insurance companies in Connecticut.
Homeowners insurance rates vary based on location, your home’s square footage and other factors. Use our free tool below to get a personalized quote.
5 Best Homeowners Insurance Providers in Connecticut
Based on our extensive research, the following are Connecticut’s best homeowners insurance providers:
According to the Insurance Information Institute (III), the average cost of homeowners insurance in Connecticut is $1,494, which is nearly 20% higher than the national average of $1,249.
Lemonade Home Insurance
- AM Best rating*: N/A
- J.D. Power score**: N/A
A newcomer compared to the other companies in this review, Lemonade is a growing provider of auto, home, renters, life and pet insurance.
Though Lemonade was not featured in the J.D. Power individual home insurance customer survey and has a lower Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating than other companies in this review, it has a higher BBB review average than most competitors and typically responds to customer complaints quickly.
Our analysis of customer reviews suggests Lemonade has the quickest claims process, on average. The company even states that it aims to settle simple claims instantly through its artificial intelligence (AI) platform.
Lemonade also provides shoppers and policyholders with a straightforward FAQ page on its website covering the basics of coverage and claims. It also offers a variety of policy endorsements and discounts, showing you which add-ons and savings you are eligible for during the quoting process.
*All AM Best ratings accurate as of October 2022
**All J.D. Power scores accurate as of October 2022
Pros and Cons of Lemonade Home Insurance
Discounts: Lemonade offers discounts for security devices, water-leak detection systems, wind protection, fire alarms and sprinklers.
Endorsements: Lemonade has the following additional coverages: earthquake, appliance breakdown, ordinance/law coverage, water backup, musical instruments, bikes, jewelry, fine art and cameras.
Get your custom home insurance quote from Lemonade.
To learn more: Lemonade home insurance review
Jump To Top
Liberty Mutual home insurance
While Liberty Mutual has a lower J.D. Power score than some providers in this review, its solid BBB rating and A rating from AM Best suggest it is likely to pay claims as promised and is committed to creating a strong customer experience.
Liberty Mutual offers a comprehensive suite of insurance products, with home, pet, umbrella, life and auto insurance. It’s our top choice for homeowners looking to save with discounts.
For example, Liberty Mutual reduces your rates if you insure at least 100% of your home’s value or buy a policy before your current one expires.
Liberty Mutual’s website is straightforward and helpful, but our secret-shopping process revealed that its quote process can be complicated. Fortunately, the company provides live online assistance if you’re having difficulty getting your quote.
Pros and Cons of Liberty Mutual Home Insurance
Discounts: Liberty Mutual has the following discounts: claims-free, early shopper, newly purchased home, new/renovated home, safe homeowner, new roof, multi-policy, insured to value, preferred payment and paperless.
Endorsements: Liberty Mutual provides extra coverage for hurricanes, total replacement cost, fine jewelry, water backup and overflow and inflation protection.
Get your personalized home insurance quote from Liberty Mutual.
To learn more: Liberty Mutual insurance review
Jump To Top
Allstate Home Insurance
With strong performance across several of our review standards, Allstate is a great overall provider for homeowners in Connecticut. It carries an A+ financial strength rating from AM Best and the highest J.D. Power score for overall customer satisfaction of any company in this article. Allstate offers 24/7 access to a long list of dedicated local agents, mobile support, an online claims center and a streamlined app.
Founded in 1931, Allstate is one of the nation’s largest insurance companies and offers several types of insurance products.
Allstate provides a wide range of coverages and endorsements to Connecticut residents, including yard and garden protection. It also offers a welcome and loyalty discount to new and continuing policyholders.
Allstate’s website can help you learn the fundamentals of homeowners insurance, take stock of your personal property and find out the top causes of claims in your area.
Pros and Cons of Allstate Home Insurance
Discounts: Allstate has a multi-policy discount, responsible payment discount, claim-free discount, welcome and loyalty discount, protective device discount, recent home buyer discount, Easy Pay Plan discount and an early signing discount.
Endorsements: Allstate provides several endorsements, including identity theft restoration, green improvement, water backup, home-sharing, manufactured and mobile homes, flood insurance, yard and garden, scheduled personal property, business property, electronic data recovery, musical instruments, athletic equipment and personal umbrella insurance.
Get your personalized home insurance quote from Allstate.
To learn more: Allstate home insurance review
Jump To Top
American Family Home Insurance
American Family (AmFam) opened its doors in the 1920s and began selling home insurance products by 1958.
Solid BBB, AM Best and J.D. Power ratings suggest that AmFam is dedicated to creating an excellent customer experience and is highly likely to meet its financial obligations.
AmFam offers several helpful policy endorsements that let you tweak your coverage. It also has unique discounts, including a generational discount offered to policyholders ages 30 and younger whose parents have enrolled in an American Family policy.
AmFam stands out most for its impressive lineup of digital resources that streamline the comparison process. It provides fast and relatively easy quotes and does not ask you to enter your Social Security number to get a quote.
The American Family website also lists coverages and add-ons with a comprehensive coverage table.
Pros and Cons of American Family Home Insurance
Discounts: AmFam offers the following discounts: multi-policy, smart-home, security, insurance payment, loyalty, age of home, renovated home and generational.
Endorsements: AmFam’s additional coverages include equipment breakdown, identity theft, sump pump and water backup, credit monitoring, matching siding, diminishing deductible and hidden water damage.
Get your personalized home insurance quote from American Family.
To learn more: American Family home insurance review
Jump To Top
Travelers Home Insurance
Dating back to 1864, Travelers is older than all of the competitors in this review. With an A++ rating from AM Best and a feature in the J.D. Power individual homeowners insurance study, Travelers is regarded as a financially stable carrier with an overall positive customer experience.
Similar to Allstate, it gives policyholders 24/7 access to customer service and has local agents statewide.
Travelers stands out for its highly customizable deductibles. It offers nine deductibles, ranging from $1,000 to $50,000. This lets policyholders reduce premiums by paying higher out-of-pocket costs when they file a claim.
Travelers also offers a Decreasing Deductible incentive that drops your deductible by $100 when you renew your policy, regardless of whether or not you filed a claim in the last year.
Pros and Cons of Travelers Home Insurance
Discounts: Travelers has a multi-policy, home buyer, loss-free, protective device and green-home discount.
Endorsements: Travelers has optional add-ons for special personal property, sump pump discharge or overflow, jewelry and valuable items, water backup, additional replacement cost protection, green home, identity fraud and valuable personal articles.
Get a personalized home insurance quote from Travelers.
To learn more: Travelers insurance review
Jump To Top
What Factors Affect Home Insurance Rates in Connecticut?
The factors below have the biggest impact on Connecticut homeowners insurance rates:
- Location: Home insurance rates are typically relative to the cost of living expenses in your area. For example, people who live in metropolitan areas may pay more for their home insurance policies than those who live in rural areas. Your proximity to a police station, fire department or fire hydrant are also factors.
- Replacement cost: One of the biggest influences on the price of home insurance coverage is replacement cost, or the amount of money it would require to rebuild your home. Insurers factor in your home’s square footage, the age of the roof, the number of bedrooms and bathrooms, design style and construction costs to assess replacement cost.
- Age and condition: Home insurance companies also weigh your home’s age and current state into your premiums. The type of plumbing, electrical wiring and materials can affect replacement cost and influence premiums.
- Roof: When a roof is damaged, it can affect your home’s structure and lead to costly claims. Many insurers offer discounts for having an impact or fire-resistant roof or a recently replaced roof.
- Credit score: Like lenders, insurance companies check your credit report to determine how risky you are. You may face higher home insurance costs if your score falls below 580. Homeowners with high credit scores are statistically less likely to file a claim.
- Claims history: Similarly, your insurer will evaluate your claims history. You should expect higher premiums if you’ve filed claims in recent years. On the other hand, applicants with no recent claims could be eligible for discounts or claims-free deductibles.
- Security features: Taking steps to make your home safer could also lower your home insurance premiums. This includes features such as deadbolts, a home security system, or sprinklers. If your burglar or fire alarms report to local authorities, you could get even lower rates.
- Renovations: If you make any updates to your home that influence its replacement cost, like adding a bonus room or upgrading your house’s siding, it could influence your coverage needs and impact premiums.
- Policy structure: The amount of coverage and any endorsements you choose to purchase will influence your rates significantly. The deductible, or the amount you pay out-of-pocket when you file a claim, will also affect the cost of coverage.
- Pool/trampoline: Pools and trampolines can enhance the risk of a liability claim, meaning they may increase your premiums.
- Dog breed: If your dog is considered at a higher risk of biting or injuring someone, it could lead to higher premiums or be excluded from your policy’s coverage.
- Discounts: Home insurance discounts can shave hundreds of dollars off your premiums. For example, most insurers who sell multiple types of insurance offer discounts for bundling your home or renters insurance policy with car insurance.
Common Causes of Home Insurance Claims in Connecticut
Here are some of the most common reasons Connecticut homeowners file claims:
- Wind damage: Because of its location on the Atlantic coast, Connecticut sometimes faces damaging winds, which can lead to fallen trees, downed power lines and exterior damage to homes.
- Flooding: Connecticut is also susceptible to flooding, a particularly high risk for coastal residents.
- Roof damage: Roof damage is a common claim that often results from wind and storm damage.
- Theft/vandalism: Connecticut residents are at risk of being targeted by criminals. Theft and vandalism are common causes of claims throughout the state and across the nation.
Home insurance covers most of these issues; however, it usually excludes flood damage.You can find a flood insurance policy through the federal government’s National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) if you’d like to purchase a flood insurance policy. Some home insurance companies, such as Allstate, can help you purchase an NFIP policy.
Compare Homeowners Insurance Providers
See how each of these homeowners insurance providers compare and get quotes before making a decision:
The Bottom Line: Which Homeowners Insurance Provider in Connecticut Is Best for You?
Lemonade is our top recommendation for Connecticut homeowners. It offers some of the most affordable coverage on the market and its online experience is hard to beat. Whether you’re comparing quotes or filing a claim, Lemonade makes the user experience simple.
However, all the providers in this review have a strong home insurance reputation and bring something unique to the table. We recommend you compare quotes from at least three providers to select the right provider for your homeowners policy. You can compare quotes quickly by entering your ZIP code here or calling 855-948-5219.
Methodology: Our System for Ranking the Best Home Insurance Companies
Our team surveyed dozens of home insurance providers and created a scoring system to judge each company’s quality and service. We reach out for sample quotes, both over the phone and on the internet, to simulate an authentic customer experience. Here are the factors that account for our provider reviews:
- Coverage (20%): We analyze each provider’s coverage options, policy endorsements and coverage limits to determine the quality of coverage.
- Customer service (15%): We also evaluate each company’s customer service options, such as live chat, a customer support phone line and access to agents.
- Technology (15%): Similarly, we score providers based on their digital resources, such as a mobile app, online comparison tools and quote process.
- Reputation (15%): We gauge reputation by evaluating consumer reviews and third-party financial strength and customer experience ratings.
- Additional benefits (15%): Additionally, we weighed each company’s added benefits, including discounts and policy endorsements.
- Cost (20%): Last, we compare cost data for homes across the nation to assess how competitively priced each provider is.
Companies with the best customer service exhibit 24/7 availability, educational resources on their website, useful digital tools and a seamless claims-filing process. Providers that offer extensive discount options, endorsements, customizable coverage options and unique features score significantly higher than those that don’t, putting them toward the top of our recommendations to readers.
Ratings listed in this article are accurate as of October 2022.
AM Best Disclaimer